Travel Resources

Some airlines charge for carry-on luggage. Check with the carrieror ask us before you go. Pack anything of value or importance in your carry-on bag. Such items may include money, prescriptions, eyeglasses, and itineraries. Follow the 3-1-1 Rule: Liquids, gels, and aerosols are permitted in 3 ounce containers, placed in a 1 quart-sized, clear plastic, zip-top bag, 1 bag per traveler. Each time TSA searches a carry-on it slows down the line. Practicing 3-1-1 will ensure a faster and easier checkpoint experience.

Checked luggage cannot exceed 50 pounds. Do not lock your luggage. Many airlines will now cut the lock off your luggage in order to fully inspect your bag. Make sure all luggage has a tag with your information. Do not put film in your checked baggage because the screening equipment may damage it. Also, most airlines also charge a fee for checked luggage, so check with the carrier or ask us before you go.

Children under 2 are required to present both birth certificates and shot records signed by a physician. When arriving at security, please take infants and children out of baby carriers and strollers and take them through the metal detector. Strollers and baby carriers go through the X-ray machine with your bags. If possible, collapse the stroller before arriving at the metal detector. For more information on traveling with children, click here.

All passengers leaving U.S. Borders are required to obtain a passport. All minors regardless of age, including infants, must have their own passport when traveling internationally by air. Make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and a visa, if required, and fill in the emergency information page of your passport. Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends, so they can be contacted in case of an emergency. See passport requirements for more information.

Consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens. Contact information for U.S. Embassies and Consulates appears on the Bureau of Consular Affairs Web site.

Also note that the Office of Overseas Citizen Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs may be reached for assistance with emergencies at 1-888-407-4747, if calling from the U.S. or Canada, or 202-501-4444, if calling from overseas.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs (CA) is responsible for protecting U.S. citizens and their interests abroad, issuing passports and other documentation to U.S. citizens and nationals, supporting U.S. border security, facilitating legitimate travel to the United States, and fostering economic growth.

The links below will help you with your travel needs before and during their trip.